Saturday, September 13, 2008

"it was a good little cart"

I love being a housewife.

One of the things I love about being a housewife is shopping ... searching for deals, finding yummy stuff for us to eat, and people-watching. I love people-watching.

Depending on the time of day that I happen to go shopping depends upon the people I run into. While I was working this summer, I often had to go in the evenings, when I would often run into people like myself who have just spent the day at the office and now just want to get in and out of the store as fast as possible...who wants to really stand in a line-up?? BUT, now that I'm not working, one of my favorite times to shop is before lunch on week-day mornings, when I see little old people and moms with kids... such wonderful people, and wonderful interactions. Little kids rushing around, trying to add stuff to their mother's shopping cart without her noticing until it's too late and it's been paid for already... or little old couples slowly and meticulously working through their lists, often picking up a treat or 2 to spoil someone with (my grampa was famous for this!!)

This past Friday, as I was heading grocery shopping, I saw a little old lady pushing her cart back to the rest of the carts (what is that place called??), so I walked up to her and asked if I could use her cart. She smiled and told me yes ... and then she looked down at the cart ... and back at me and said, in a somewhat wistful manner, "you know, it was a good little cart" she paused for a moment and then again, "I had no troubles with the wheels". I laughed as she said this, agreeing what an important and rare quality in a cart this is. I thanked her and we went our own ways. As I walked away, I had a smile on my face... such a sweet little lady.... and it was indeed "a good little cart".


No comments: