Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 4 - Controlling the faucet


As part of being more intentional with this blog, with my life, with my passions, I want to work towards this:


Source
I will be chronicling my journey on my blog and I'm looking forward to the end result!

***

Day 4 - Controlling the faucet is making my head spin a little!! I have a magnet on my fridge that reads "I'm too pretty to do math"... my excuse as an English major ;) Here's what Darcy challenged us with:

 Imagine the correct exposure of an image is ISO 400 at 1/100 sec.
You can halve the ISO and double the shutter and get the same exposure – ISO 200 at 1/50 sec. Using our analogy, you reduce the flow of water in half, you have to leave the faucet on twice as long to get the same results.
Likewise you could double the ISO and halve the shutter speed – ISO 800 at 1/200 sec. Meaning, you double the flow of water out of the faucet, and you only have to leave the faucet on half the amount of time.
In the above example, what’s the correct shutter speed if we move the ISO to 1600?
Which ISO would we choose if our shutter speed is 1/800 second?
Eek! I'm quaking in my boots here... but... HALF/DOUBLE... DOUBLE/HALF. I think I can remember that. I think I can. I think I can.

No comments: